Find DC Open Doors Qualified Homes
Finding a home that qualifies for DCHFA's DC Open Doors program does not have to be stressful. You simply have to find a home or condominium in the city that you already can basically afford.
This requires a relatively stable and consistent income, a fair to decent Credit Score (660+) and an income UNDER $132,360, per year. These are all factors that influence your ability to qualify for financing to purchase a home through a traditional real estate purchase; DC Open Doors is only used to pay for the Down Payment portion of the home purchase.
The DC Real estate market can be complicated and tough to navigate. Purchasing real estate in the city can be very expensive and out of reach for many buyers. We highly recommend that you work with a professional Real Estate Agent to help you control your expectations and find a home that you can actually purchase.
Here's some basic things about downtown D.C. homes and condos that you need to be aware of:
- Home & condo prices can vary widely from street to street and neighborhood to neighborhood.
- As you look for lower priced properties that are desirable to live in, the numbers of homes you can choose from drops, i.e., you will find a large number of homes available for around $300,000 in the city; when you are looking to spend less than $250,000 or less than $200,000.
- You have to be aware of how much home you can afford if you purchase. There are tax savings, credits and other things tied to home ownership that lower the true cost of ownership. You should not just simply be comparing what your rent currently costs directly compared to your potential mortgage.
- There may be hidden costs tied to a property. This can include needed condo/HOA fees, parking fees, necessary repairs, quick & easy renovations, etc.
There are still great areas of the city that are still affordable! Certain neighborhoods enjoy lower prices than the more popular areas of the city. Buying a home or condo in one of these neighborhoods also gives you the potential for your home or condo to rise in value while you are living in it!
We offer a free DC home search where you can see available home listings updated by the hour. If you'd like to start looking at what is available, you may do so here.
If the whole buying process sounds confusing & you'd like help with DC Open Doors, finding a home or condo, etc., then contact us now. One of our Agents will be happy to invest their time in giving you more info or showing you properties. There's no obligation until you actually find and purchase a home!
- I Earn Less Than $132,360
- I have Decent Credit (640+)
*Other restrictions apply. You do not have to be a current DC resident to qualify & use this program!
We are full-service real estate agents that help you succeed in buying a $0 Down Payment home!